Thailand & Mexico 2007

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Monday, May 28, 2007

Poor traveling me

I was pretty much sick and tired of traveling as soon as I got off the tuk-tuk 15 min after I got on it. Unfortunately it didn't bring me all the way to Mexico, instead I had a considerable amount of time in planes, airports and buses ahead of me.

First stop, Udon Thani Airport, where I was informed that my bags were very much overweight (which they weren't), and therefore a pretty large sum of baht were requested of me if I wanted my bags (or myself) on that plane. I didn't make sense at all for a number of reasons, but I had no intent trying to bargain or argue with them. So I complied with their demands, and payed while giving them the evil eye which I'm sure terrified them and helped matters a great deal.

I had another pleasant surprise and another battle with the airport staff waiting for me in Bangkok, but this time they actually had good reasons for giving me a hard time. It seems that nowadays in the war on terror age we live in, more than ever are great measures taken in order to keep track of people traveling by plane. No surprise there, but the fact that showing up with a bunch of one-way tickets instead of a carefully plotted travel-itinerary could, and would, bring me so much problems I had no idea of. They weren't really satisfied with me not being able to show a valid return ticket from Mexico to Sweden, and they certainly didn't seem to like the fact that I had planned a visit to the United States prior to my return back home. My only weapon in this fight were my sad puppy-eyes and constant reassurance that I had no shady intentions whatsoever. After having "consulted" with some people unknown to me, and made some "phonecalls" they finally decided that I could get on the plane.

Next stop, Seoul, South Korea, where I spent the first 5 of my 10 hours there asleep on a very comfortable bench I found in the transit hall.
After that it was time to find a computer and a printer, since I had to print out my own bording pass for the flight from Los Angeles to Guadalajara and then to Mexico City. Failing to do so would result in me not being granted permission to enter the United States for my transfer to Mexico I had been told in Bangkok. No printers worked anywhere in Nong Khai, therefore I hadn't been able to get this done before I left. My first plan was to take care of it in Bangkok, but since explaining my travel route took up most of my time there, I had no choice but to do it in Seoul. A super modern airport with everything one could ever expect, an abundance of luxury and hi-tech gadgets everywhere, but no f*****g printers! I now know Seoul International Airport better then the architect who designed it, because of all the running around I had to do. I finally hit jackpot and found a printer, without ink. The girl in charge of the computer was asleep next to it, but there were no time for politeness so I abruptly woke her up and explained that she simply HAD to get that thing working, which she did.

No more unpleasant adventures but of course the plane was a little bit late, so I think I set a new LAX record in covering a lot of distance in a very short amount of time. The security controls were endless, and took forever, which I had expected. Actually worse than a couple of months after 9/11 at JFK in New York. With no shoes on, half of my stuff in my hands instead of in my bag I reached the gate approximately four minutes before it closed and took off heading for Mexico.

Changed planes in Guadalajara, bought a coke, and then got on the flight to Mexico City. Upon arrival I took a taxi to the busstation and after that I had a 4-5 hour busride before I arrived in Xalapa around three in the morning, somewhat confused and jetlagged.

No comments: