Thailand & Mexico 2007

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Monday, May 28, 2007

¿Dónde estoy?

The first couple of days I felt like I was in some kind of twilight zone. No, tuk-tuks, no rice, no buddhist temples and no Singhas. Instead, taxis, tortillas and Coronas. Crazy traffic was however one thing that didn't change just because the continents did. When planning this little escape from Suecia-07 trip, I'd first decided to go to Tijuana. After having discussed it with the T2T staff in Mexico and a former volunteer, I changed my mind as late as a couple of weeks before leaving Thailand and decided on Xalapa instead. This meant a lot less time to mentally prepare for the new place (don't know if that mattered though) and I was pretty confused in the beginning. The lack of sleep and fast paste of my last few weeks in Nong Khai surely contributed to that feeling, and I started my time in Mexico sleeping up to 15 hours a day and having problems constructing more advanced thoughts than "I'm hungry", "Where am I?" "What day is it?". Nonetheless, I had been given a schedule for my teaching and other activities and just as in Thailand it started right away with some three hours of "teaching training" and preparations for my projects that took place not even 12 hours after I'd arrived in Xalapa.

No comments: